Dive into the world of traditional Scottish desserts with our enticing Chocolate Tiffin recipe. This traybake, renowned for its rich flavours, is the perfect antidote for those sweet tooth urges. The beauty of this treat lies not just in its delectable taste but also in its simplicity. With no baking required, it’s straightforward to prepare. Plus, its versatile ingredients mean you can tailor it to your liking. Whether you’re aiming to impress guests with a slice of Scottish heritage or simply fancy a lavish nibble, this no-bake Chocolate Tiffin is a must-try. After all, who can resist such a tempting crunchy delight?
- Master the Melt: Refine your skills with each chocolate melt.
- Worth the Wait: The setting time enhances every bite.
- Choose & Create: Experiment and personalize your tiffin treat.
“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
What is Chocolate Tiffin?
Chocolate tiffin is a popular dessert that consists of a crumbly biscuit base mixed with melted chocolate, sugar, syrup, and sometimes dried fruit, nuts or marshmallows. It originated in Scotland or northern England and has since become a beloved sweet treat in many parts of the world.
Origins & Popularity
The history of chocolate tiffin is not well documented, but it is believed to have been created as a way to use up leftover biscuits and cake crumbs. It has evolved over time, with many variations being made with different types of biscuits, chocolate, and additional ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit, and marshmallows.
A Chef’s Perspective
As a chef, I love making chocolate tiffin because it is a versatile dessert that can be customized to suit any taste. I enjoy experimenting with different types of biscuits and chocolate to create unique flavour combinations. For example, using dark chocolate and adding chopped nuts can give the tiffin a richer, nuttier taste. Alternatively, using milk chocolate and adding dried fruit can create a sweeter, fruitier dessert.
Chocolate tiffin is a delicious and simple dessert that is perfect for satisfying your sweet cravings. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a beginner cook, this recipe is easy to follow and will surely impress your friends and family.
Recipe for Chocolate Tiffin:
Chocolate Tiffin: Decadent Scottish Treat
Rate my Recipe 🙂
- 5 oz Unsalted butter - (150g) cubed
- 3 tbsp Granulated sugar - (caster sugar)
- 3 tbsp Golden syrup
- 6 tsp Cocoa powder
- 10 oz Digestive biscuits - roughly crushed (some chunky pieces add texture)
- 4 oz Milk chocolate - (120g)
- 4 oz Dark chocolate - (70% cocoa or higher for a richer taste)
- 1 tbsp Icing sugar - for dusting
- 1 pinch Salt
- Butter a 15-20cm tin and line it with baking parchment.
- In a large saucepan, gently melt the butter, sugar, syrup, and cocoa over low heat until smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in the crushed digestive biscuits, dried fruits, and chopped nuts until well combined.
- In a separate heatproof bowl, melt the milk and dark chocolates either in the microwave or over a pan of simmering water.
- Add half of the melted chocolate mixture to the saucepan and mix well.
- Pour the combined mixture into the prepared tin, pressing down firmly and smoothing the top.
- Spread the remaining melted chocolate over the top of the mixture in the tin.
- Optionally, sprinkle a pinch of sea salt over the chocolate layer.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Once set, remove from the fridge, dust with icing sugar and cut into squares.
- Opt for Quality: Use high-quality chocolate to achieve the best flavour and texture in your tiffin.
- Alternate Melting Technique: If without a microwave, melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl placed over a pan of gently simmering water.
- Biscuit Variety: Experiment with different biscuits – from digestives to rich tea or ginger snaps – to introduce new flavours and textures.
- Patience is Key: Ensure the tiffin is fully cooled and set in the refrigerator to get the ideal consistency and taste.
- Customize Your Tiffin: Enhance the recipe by incorporating other ingredients like chopped nuts, dried fruits, or marshmallows, tailoring it to your preferences.
From the Chef
Discover a world of delectable recipes and culinary tips directly from my kitchen. Subscribe to my recipe website for the latest mouth-watering creations. For exclusive behind-the-scenes peeks, follow my Instagram and embark on a culinary journey with me. Your feedback is invaluable—please share your thoughts in the comment section below.